Sunday, March 7, 2010

Rings, Rings Everywhere and not a Thing for Me

The most frustrating thing about wedding planning for me right now is that I want to get started and get ideas that I can use and start planning.  However, being over 2,000 miles from our wedding location makes things really difficult.  Add that to the fact that I don't really know where I'm going to be living next year, and planning basically screeches to a halt.  However, there is one thing that I not only can do but really should do while I'm in Chicago, and that is find our rings.  Daniel's family is good friends with a jeweler who can get us a major discount (as he did for my engagement ring), so we're almost certainly going to buy from him, and it would be really helpful to have the rings done while we still have access to him.

This will not be my favorite task.  Since this is the part of the wedding that is really forever (in addition to the actual marriage part of course) and is something we will deal with everyday, this is one of the more stressful decisions I'm going to have to make.  Especially because we have very problematic tastes.

I have decided that I hate most wedding bands.  Plain ones are just so PLAIN.  As you may have noticed from my dress hunt, I don't do plain well.  But at the same time, I don't want something dripping in diamonds either, partly because I just don't care for diamonds, but mostly because I really want us to have complimentary rings if possible.  I feel like since the wedding band is a symbol of unity, ours should at least look something alike.  Both Daniel and I know we want something unique, but neither of us could tell you exactly what we want.

A couple of our good friends are getting married next weekend, and we both really liked their rings.  They got ones that were inlaid with stones, but not your average precious stones.  They were dark and looked kind of like a very dark wood.  They were very different.  We like that.  But I don't feel like their rings are "me," so we'll probably do something a little different.

I found these:

 

I thought this was pretty cool.  I really like the interlocking design thing.  That says marriage to me.  Problem is, it's a bit manly for me, and it would be cooler if Daniel and I each had a part of the ring, and they fit together, like a friendship bracelet (I have a thing about friendship bracelets,  OK?  I swear I'm not five).  Of course, that would never actually work because his finger is about twice the size of mine.  Next.


 
I like the design, but it just doesn't say wedding to me.  Next.

 

Love it!  Too bad neither of us is really into music.  But I'm seriously keeping this for when my brother gets married.


 
 


These are all from Tacori.  They are all cool designs.  I would not buy any of them.
This is my problem.  I'm picky.  Daniel is also picky.  Finding something we agree on is going to be difficult, but finding something we love in the first place is going to be REALLY difficult.  Hopefully, his jeweler will have some ideas because I sure don't.

2 comments:

  1. I know you're using your jeweler friend, so sending you off to etsy.com like I am so tempted to do won't help much... but here are some more unique ring ideas:

    these are plain on the outside, but you can get each other's fingerprints etched inside - http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=42317908&ref=sr_gallery_6&&ga_search_query=wedding+ring&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title

    these have a colored wood inlay - http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=41861926&ref=sr_gallery_18&&ga_search_query=wedding+ring&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=2&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title

    these have real wood or leaf textures imprinted on them - http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=36560428&ref=sr_gallery_31&&ga_search_query=wedding+ring&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=5&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title

    and there are tons more. Also, why don't you consider a custom design or rings that compliment each other but don't necessarily match perfectly - that way you don't have to worry about his being too feminine or yours too masculine.

    ReplyDelete

Classy Wedding by the Sea