Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Alright, it's personal post time

Daniel and I are no strangers to long distance relationships.  We basically started out in one, and then a year after we had been living together, we spent four months being 6,000 miles apart before being a measly 2,000 miles apart until we had been in a long distance relationship for 2 years (summers excluded).  Obviously, it has been really, really nice for us to have been living together for almost a year straight without having to worry about moving apart again.

Right now, Daniel is still in CA because the lucky bastard gets 2 weeks for Spring Break.  He's coming home tomorrow, but right now, I pretty much haven't seen him in a week, and I really miss him.  And you know what?  It feels GREAT!  It is so awesome to miss someone even when you know you're going to see him again in less than a week instead of resigning yourself to not seeing him again for 2 months.  I LOVE being able to be a normal couple who only takes normal lengths of time apart.

Which brings me to the point I think I was trying to make.  I have a certain, shall we say, attraction to jobs that involve traveling.  This may have something to do with the fact that I love traveling (I mean, maybe it's just possible the two are connected).  One of the hardest things about committing to marrying Daniel for me was knowing that I wouldn't get to run off to various foreign countries and live there for years.  I'd still like to do a year in South America or Asia at some point, but it's so much more complicated when you have to take someone's elses opinions, career, and life into account.

But it's times like this that remind me that being with Daniel is so much more important to me than exploring the world.  When I was traveling Europe for five weeks straight, I was miserable half the time because I missed him and wanted him to be there with me.  When I'm traveling alone, I'm always thinking about what Daniel would love to see.  And when I'm exhausted because babies have been screaming at me all day, and I'm stressed out because I have no money, coming home to Daniel reminds me that leaving my friends and family and moving to the frozen landscape that is Chicago was totally worth it because I get to be with him.

Because we've spent so much time apart, I really don't take the time we have together for granted.  Still, it's nice to be reminded of how integral Daniel is to my happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Classy Wedding by the Sea