Saturday, April 21, 2012

Can You Feel the Love Tonight: Cake, Bouquet, and Goodbye

We had a couple of breaks in the dancing to keep things interesting.  The first was for cake.

Our cake was fantastic on its own, but our cake cutting was pretty fucking badass.


Yes, we cut our cake with a sword.  And not just any sword:  we used Sting, Bilbo/Frodo's sword from The Lord of the Rings.   Yes, we are that cool.  What can I say, my husband's a big LotR fan.  Besides, how many other couples can say that their cake cutter glows in the presence of orcs?

(Side note:  that sword was given to Daniel by his ex-girlfriend.  Totally not awkward at all.)

We proceeded to cut our cake in a cake-cutting fashion, but we hit a little snag.  Literally.  When we tried to cut the cake, the tip of the sword got caught on the cardboard under the top layer, ensuing in the most difficult time a sword has ever had in cutting a cake and hilarity for our guests.

Photos by Stephen Cheng as usual.

 "Finally!  We got it!  Oooo, cake, yum!"

We did eventually figure out the cardboard difficulty and managed to get the sword through the cake.

We had agreed not smash it in each other's faces, but it was a difficult thing to be sure.  To make up for it, we smashed a piece of the top layer onto each other when we got back from our honeymoon.  It was quite satisfying, I must say, although losing bits to the floor was difficult to deal with.  Yes, it was that good (and yes, I am that obsessed with cake).




Mmmm, cake!

Our second dancing interruption was for the bouquet toss.  I know a lot of people don't do them these days, and I kind of understand why, but I also kind of don't.  Neither of us wanted to do a garter toss.  Why that offends me while the bouquet toss doesn't, I do not know (though it may have something to do with Daniel hunting up my dress in front of 80 people.  Just saying).  Nonetheless, I definitely am pro-bouqet toss myself.  Of course, I'm also the first of my friends to get married, so...you know.

In any case, we did it.



Soooo, see how the bouquet is hitting the rafters in that last picture?  Yeah, the ceiling was a little closer than I thought.  I had been so trying to avoid this too!  Oh well.  Daniel's cousin "caught" it, and their family immediately started making fun of her boyfriend who wasn't even there.

Me with Our Bouquet Catcher and Her Sisters

Then there was more dancing, and before we knew it, the last song was playing.


Everyone says your wedding day goes by super fast, so I was prepared for it, but I was still a little sad at how quickly it did go.  Of course, it wouldn't have been quite as quick if our car keys hadn't been stolen, but it was still amazingly fast.  My one real regret for the day is that I didn't have time to talk to people much.  Daniel did, and I'm glad he managed it.  I was too busy dancing.  It really would have been nice to have that extra cocktail hour we had planned on for that.  We got to talk to people at the dinner the night before and at brunch the day after, but not everyone came to those, and I do wish I had been able to visit more with those who didn't.

But I did make up for that a little at the end of the night.

We had to do our own clean up.  The Guayma's people were good enough to help us take down the lights we had strung across the ceiling, but making sure we had everything else was up to us.  We hadn't really gotten around to making a plan for that, so at the end of the night, I was scrambling around trying to help pack everything up and was totally thwarted by every single person there coming to say goodbye to us.

But I didn't mind.  It was nice to get to talk to everybody (who was left), however briefly.  I was utterly exhausted but also elated.  It had been a very, very good day, and I am still gratified by how happy Daniel and I were with the whole affair.  Not everything went perfectly, but it was still a fantastic wedding as the guests proceeded to assure us for the next several months.

When we finally left Guayma's, we were met by this:


It was beautiful and so serene.

A few people tried to get a picture of Daniel and me in front of the water, but there wasn't enough light.  Too bad.  But it was a moment of such beauty that it could not be captured on film anyway.

Finally, the wedding was done, and it was time to retire to our jacuzzi tub for some well-earned relaxation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Classy Wedding by the Sea