Monday, May 7, 2012

Six(ty) More Years!

Today, Daniel and I have been together for six whole years.

I know most people stop celebrating their dating anniversary once they get married, but we couldn't quite give the old one up.  When you've had one anniversary for five years, you become rather attached to it, thinking of it as, you know, your anniversary.  The real one.  We may not celebrate it forever, but I think it will always mean something to me, just because we were together for so long before getting married.  It signifies that extra five years on our accomplishment list.

Even without the "length of time we've been together vs. been married" thing though, I think our dating anniversary would still be special for me.  I know a lot of people don't get this, but to me, when we got together is more important than when we got married.

I knew basically from the start that I wanted to be with Daniel for the rest of my life.  It took me some time to be positive, and there were definitely periods when I wavered, but for the most part, I've always thought that we would get married--and stay that way.  The wedding itself was more about logistics and being absolutely sure of our commitment and having dealt with other things first, but it was always going to be just a matter of time.

Of course, we're celebrating our wedding anniversary, you know, bigger.  We're going on a trip and everything then while tonight we're only going to dinner.  But to me, this is the night to really celebrate our time together, to remember how we met and all we've done since then.  After all, we have innumerable wonderful memories from our first five years together.

So Daniel, I'm glad that you're my husband, but tonight I celebrate you being my life companion.  Here's to six wonderful years together.

 06/07:  Our First Summer Together

 07/08:  Tea in London

 08/09:  Disneyland!

 09/10:  Sledding in Chicagoland

 10/11:  Road Trip Back to California though the Grand Canyon

 11/12:  Our Wedding

I love you.

Is your dating anniversary important to you?  Or is it all about the wedding?  What makes you reflect on your relationship?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Classy Wedding by the Sea